| ||The weather forecast is not looking good. If you wish to still take part in the sail past event please be aware of the wind forecast. The president will be on the racebox balcony to view and dip the ensign as you pass. We appreciate that the weather may put you off the club house remains open.|
Decision on racing to be made nearer the start time by 1.30pm
| ||It is with sadness that we learned of the death of Jonathan Lewis today. In recent years he has been a regular face at the Club coaching Teras and Fevas as well as sometimes racing his 200 or aboard Traigh.|
He has been instrumental in inspiring many to keep racing and responsible for coaching many of our juniors to high levels. His squads and coached youngsters have had huge successes racing in both the UK and abroad. His passion for helping youngsters and encouraging them to keep going in order to improve their racing always shone through and he was so enthusiastic when coaching or acting as race officer.
He will be hugely missed all around the world, by young members and their parents alike. His untimely death leaves a large hole in race coaching for juniors and particularly in the RS fleets.
Our thoughts are with Jo, Ellen, Caitlin and all their families.
| ||Well done to three of our junior sailors (Archie Hutcheon, George Hutcheon and Noah Mathers) who we’re invited by the RYA to take part in the iconic Eric Twiname Junior Championships at Rutland Water in the Optimist class with 58 other competitors from around the country. The 37th ETs was organised by the RYA in conjunction with the Eric Twiname Trust, which sees junior sailors come together to race and represent their region or home country. The first event took place in 1986 and has seen thousands of young sailors compete, including Olympians past and present. Sailing stars Ben Ainslie and Iain Percy were among the early winners of the regatta before going on to Olympic greatness. There were representatives from the following classes: Optimist, RS Tera, RS Feva and Topper dinghies – as well as four different rig sizes of Bic Techno windsurfer.|
Light winds were predicted all weekend and the first day’s racing was postponed until 2pm and only two races competed. Noah’s first day was exceptional taking a 6th in the first race and then a bullet in the second which put him in 2nd overnight. Sadly, the winds didn’t favour George or Archie both getting caught up in traffic around the windward mark, both ending up towards the back of the fleet.
Day two was still light, Noah continued in good form with a 5th and 8th and two 14ths’. George managed a 22nd but with a UFD (over the line in the last minute) so was disqualified form that race and a 24th in the 2nd of the day, unfortunately this wasn’t enough for him to climb the table. Archie’s determination meant that event though he was at the back of the fleet he didn’t give up and kept plugging away with his best result being 51st.
The breeze on day three was non-existent with postponement after postponement, eventually at 12pm the race committee cancelled racing and the day was abandoned.
The final results for our lads this weekend were Noah 4th, George 48th and Archie 57th.
The BSC would like to congratulate the boys in taking part in this prestigious event and we are very proud of all our sailors representing our club in events near and far.
| ||The kayakers are pleased to announce that we have been awarded British Canoeing Quality Club status. This is a national quality reward given to organisations who provide a high standard of paddle sport activities. The award recognises and reflects the excellent delivery and outstanding merit of governance and safeguarding which is in place. Our success is the result of many months of team work ensuring that policies and procedures are put in place to make sure that paddling is safe and fun for everyone.|
| ||The N flag will be flying from the club, with no racing tonight owing to the forecast.|
See you all next week for the start of the Spring Series!
Vice Commodore Sailing
| ||Owing to the rapid rise in covid cases we have taken the difficult decision to not open the clubhouse after racing on Sunday. Racing will carry on as we will staff the race box with just 2 people one inside one outside. Prizegiving will be on the decking asap after racing weather permitting. Please keep an eye out on all communication channels in case of further changes. Thank you for your understanding, Sally|
| ||Race 5 of the Autumn Series, Sunday 31st October, is cancelled owing to the forecast. The N flag is flying.|
| ||Unfortunately, prize giving has been cancelled due to lack of RSVPs. More details to follow this weekend.|